When I started my grad work at UMass Boston, I had very little experience with Web 2.0 tools and Social Media. Ironically, I it was part way through my first semester that I decided to take down my Facebook page because Facebook was distracting me from my schoolwork. It is so easy to drift away from an academic article and see who's doing what on Facebook. I have never really been a "tweeter" and have not even looked at Instagram. While taking INSDSG 605, I learned al sorts of nee Web 2.0 tools. At first I went into it kicking and screaming and could not see the academic or professional relevance. But a year later, I don't know how I would function each week with out something from Google. I am learning to love wikis. I can see the importance of a wiki for a class like 640; a place to keep all of our thoughts and ideas. However, I have not seen a place to use one professional yet. I am sure it is just a matter of time. Ironically, for 605 we created a Wiki of Web 2.0 tools. I don't know if you have the power to view it from this link (It may only be viewable to those invited to the wiki), but here's hoping. The wiki gave me, and my teammates, a way to try out all sorts of Web 2.0 tools.
Tools that I continue to use after 605 are:
Google- docs, forms, drive, hangout, gmail
Screencast-o-matic: I use it to record quick little tutorials to show my students and their parents to find things on their computers.
YouTube- I usually export my screencast to You tube. I also use it daly to find "How-Tos" for almost anything
Diigo- I use this bookmarking sight when I am doing research on a particular topic, especially if I have to work on the topic at home or at work (different computers).
Web tools that I just haven't bought into yet:
Twitter- It is all the rage among the administrators of my middle school. They are constantly tweeting about the going ons around school. I just haven't seen the value in it.
Here is the link to our Wiki form 605- I hope you can access it.
http://recipe20.wikispaces.umb.edu/Business+Layer+Cake
No comments:
Post a Comment