When I think about the next generation of learners, I think
of young adults who have been raised with smartphones. I teach middle schoolers
in a pretty affluent district and most of the 6th graders have nicer
shoes and phones than I do! The
challenge for teachers today is to prepare students for jobs that don’t even
exist yet. So even though smart phones are not usually permitted within the
public school classroom, yet, we have to prepare them for classrooms and jobs
where they must use them wisely. I think that mobile learning is only as rich
as the content and the audience. Meaning, if you give the learners worthy
topics to learn and discuss, mobile learning can be effective. If the mobile
learning is only click through simulations and games, it is not really embracing what smart phones are intended
for…communication and connection. This week’s topic of mlearning is absolutely tied
into social media. Today’s learners are n the go with everything, so the learning
must be too. Discussion boards will be replaced with text messages or tweets.
Educational posting pages, such as Edmodo allow the instructor share content
that is accessible by mobile device and allows for a safe a supervised space
for young students to communicate about the topic. I imagine Instagram could be
mobile learning tool where students could take photos, post them online and
thus create a virtual field trip to share with the class. However, I believe that mobile learning and
social media have the potential to “get away” from the instructor. Tools that
provide the instructor the opportunity to be a facilitator and moderator can
help keep learners on target with the objective.
No comments:
Post a Comment