Sunday, October 27, 2013

Seven Steps

When I was reviewing the Seven Steps to Design, it made me think of the Child Abuse and Suicide Prevention Training they make teachers participate in each year. Based on the topic of the training, one would assume that it is important for the teachers to get it right and really know the signs of child abuse and suicidal thoughts in kids. Well, based on the web based training we must do, not so much. Like it is warned in the Seven Steps handout, there is not variety. Read, click, read click, read click. It does not let you go back to review the information. Also, like the handout warns, after you click a few times, you will be given the right answer and allowed to move on. This whole training becomes and exercise in futility. How fast can I click through this training so I get credit and I can get back to my job. Fortunately, for the students and families I work for, I have learned a lot about child abuse and suicide warning signs from other venues that they need not worry about how I did on the state mandated "test".

On a side note. It looks like the example in the handout was done in Articulate. I had the pleasure of working with this program in INSDSG 615 (?). I loved it. It allowed for so much interaction from start to finish. I was sad when my trial ended. If I only had and extra $1300 lying around. I would buy it and use it all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment