Sunday, October 27, 2013

Death of a Page Turner? How about Death of the Power Point Reader!!?


I have taught children for over 15 years. So when it comes to absorb activities, those activities where new information is presented to students, we have to do it face to face. We would love it if our students came to class with all the chapters already read and the notes taken...but they are children and they cannot be trusted! ;) To ensure that our students have truly absorbed content, we must present new information face to face and ask questions as we go along. I think that in adult training, the same can happen. When I go to trainings, I often have to sit through power point presentations as the instructor reads each slide to me. Can I not be trusted to come to class prepared? I thought about this when I read Death of a Page Turner. I would love to go to a seminar or conference where I can absorb the information on my own time, perhaps before class, or even just  a few minutes during the class. And then we could have a grown-up conversation about the new information where I can absorb more from my instructor and my peers. I must keep this in mind when I step away from the kids and stand in front of the adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment